Avoid Artificial Food Dyes
by Elise Bowerman
Hyperactivity is running rampant these days. It can been seen clearly in children, and some adults. The link between food dyes and hyperactivity is, of course, another controversial hypothesis because the FDA does not support such evidence. However, more and more parents are taking food dyes out of their children's diet (food intake) and finding pleasing results. Some children's parent's found they no longer needed medicine to calm the child down to listen and pay attention.
Artificial food dyes are in just about everything - especially children's foods. The marketing is great, so read the label. You do not want to see any of these ingredients:
- Red 40
- Yellow 5
- Yellow 6
- Blue 1
- Blue 2
- Green 3
- Red 3
- Orange B
- Citrus Red 2
- and Sodium Benzoate
Please be mindful that this list will change, has it has through the years, when the FDA does admit that the dye is no longer safe for consumption. Then they will add a different chemical dye ingredient and label to food.
Along with hyperactivity, some of the food dyes have also been linked to tumors, and other health related disorders in lab animal studies. My best advice is to avoid as much of these ingredients as possible.
Beauty products can also contain artificial dyes. The skin is the largest organ of the body. When we place anything on our skin it is absorbed into our body, like food is. Read the labels on beauty products, especially anything that is coloring the lips and skin.
- Feingold Association of America
- Healthy Child, Healthy World: Avoid Food Dyes To Reduce Hyperactivity and ADHD, February 2013
- The Washington Post: The rainbow of food dyes in our grocery aisles has a dark side
- CBS Chicago: Food Dyes Suspected Of Causing Behavioral Problems In Kids, one mom's story
- CNN: FDA weighs food dye, hyperactivity link
- Feingold: Adverse Effects of "Inactive" Ingredients
- Happy Mothering: Beyond Allergies – Why Food Dyes May Cause Child Behavioral Problems
- Health on a Budget: Food Dyes: The Hidden Danger to Your Health
- Mercola: Are You or Your Family Eating Toxic Food Dyes?
- Food coloring in wikipedia
- Natural News: Sodium benzoate is a preservative that promotes cancer and kills healthy cells
- Sodium benzoate in wikipedia