by Elise Bowerman
A Mother Blessing is time spent supporting a mother-to-be during the rite of passage into motherhood. It is inspired by the Navajo (Native American) ceremonial tradition called a blessingway. Since their ritual is sacred and specific I use the term Mother Blessing instead.
Rituals are incorporated in just about every culture throughout the world. In our western culture we have removed the word ritual from our vocabulary, and replaced it with shower, event, ceremony, tradition, service, etc. This ritual is separate from a baby shower in the sense that it is all about the mom-to-be; rather than a bunch of gifts for baby. Our modern culture has focused the celebration of life solely on baby; to the point where we have forgotten the immense impact the birthing process has on mom.
There is little mainstream support for mom to listen to her intuition and for doctors/loved ones to support her feelings. Giving birth is a primal process involving instinct and confidence. Many of us are disconnected from being able to trust ourselves. We often look to others for the answers we seek… when really they are already inside us.
“Remember this, for it is as true and true gets: Your body is not a lemon. You are not a machine. The Creator is not a careless mechanic. Human female bodies have the same potential to give birth well as aardvarks, lions, rhinoceri, elephants, moose, and water buffalo. Even if it has not been your habit throughout your life so far, I recommend that you learn to think positively about your body.”
~ Ina May Gaskin, internationally renowned midwife
A Mother Blessing will support and align with the mom-to-be's belief system. Our job is to connect with her to create a ritual supporting her beliefs, and addresses any fears or intentions encompassing this pregnancy.
What a wonderful gift to give to an expecting woman: a group to gather together to uplift her mentally, emotionally and spiritually; rather than materialistically. Moving through this rite of passage (childbirth into motherhood) can be challenging and exciting. For anyone who's been through it, we know how much guidance and support is truly desired to feel confident as a woman and as a mother.
What to expect at a Mother Blessing
While each Mother Blessing is unique, as each mother-to-be is, there are certain qualities to the ritual:
- All guests are specially requested by the mother-to-be due to their individual relationship with her. She sees inspiration, trust, support and many other comforting qualities in each person.
- Everyone is required to participate. Participation can be sharing a story, poem, offering a gift (physical or service,) being willing to stay present during the ritual, or anything else that comes up for the mother-to-be.
- As a guest: there will be contact with the Mother Blessing coordinator (usually myself) prior to the ritual to answer questions you may have, and so you will know what will be taking place at the ceremony. Most of it will be a surprise for the mother-to-be so that she may focus on enjoying the moment; rather than setting expectations. Expect to feel energized, connected and loved.
- As the mother-to-be: expect to feel nurtured, loved, cared for, energized, notice a deeper connection to those surrounding you, and a greater senses of inner strength and trust as you prepare for childbirth and motherhood.
- Ultimately,there will be a greater emphasis to trust the universe (God or the Divine or the name which aligns to your belief system) to provide. You will always have enough for whatever comes your way. The universe meets you where you're at. So if you trust in it, to be with you, to support you, guide you, provide what is needed, you will not have to worry - especially about the material items the baby marketers make you believe you "need." All things will be delivered just as you need them when you need them.
Please contact Elise if you’d like to plan a Mother Blessing for yourself or a loved one. A minimum of three months notice is required.