by Elise Bowerman
Often times I hear people using the word homeopathy synonymously with natural remedies. While homeopathy is a natural remedy; natural remedies are not homeopathic remedies.
The practice of Homeopathic Medicine (homeopathy) is a separate science from other natural remedies, like aromatherapy with essential oils, or herbology with plant herbs. Homeopathy has it's own treatments, potencies, and uses.
Like the other alternatives you can use homeopathic remedies at home to stay well, and heal when ill. Consulting a professional homeopath is always a good idea, especially when dealing with chronic, genetic, or traumatic circumstances.
You'll notice there are a handful of books recommended. It's important to have more than one book, as the writers/professionals sometimes have slightly differing opinions for some remedies. It's slight, but enough to really help you figure out which remedy is right for you at the time. Plus, when using the books you can highlight and jot down notes to easily access the information again.
- The Complete Homeopathy Handbook by Miranda Castro, R.S.Hom.
This is my immediate go-to book. Castro is a brilliant homeopath and writes specifically for the layperson.
- Take a homeopathy class with a local homeopath or an online course. Receive the tools you need from a professional who's been using homeopathics for years.
- Collect the 12 Cell Salts. These are the 12 minerals the human body is made up of. The theory, discovered by Dr. W. H. Schuessler in the late 1800's, is that illness or disease in the body may be caused by an imbalance of the 12 minerals. These remedies are a great way to begin practicing homeopathy.
- Calendula gel, lotion, or cream - or buy them all! Use this topically for cuts, burns, or rashes. No more A & D Ointment, Neosporin, Desitin, or whatever medicated stuff that's out there again!
NYR Organic has a calendula cream blend we use just on dry skin, rough spots or rashes; not on cuts or burns. For cuts or burns we use the brands from the health food store with the first ingredient being calendula.
- Most health food stores, drug stores and markets sell low potency homeopathic blends for acute situations, like colds, flu, fever, earache, cough, teething, allergies, night-time rest, dry eyes, etc. Some brands include: Boiron, Hyland's, Newton Homeopathics and Homeolab. These are another excellent way to start administering remedies. They are packaged with directions like over-the-counter medications.
- Arnica. It is the most used remedy in my household! Arnica may be used for bumps to the head, bruising of the body, and will support healing of wounds and sprains. NYR Organic has a topical arnica cream or salve which are great for all ages.
- The Complete Homeopathic Resource for Common Illnesses by Dennis Chernin, MD, MPH. As a local (Ann Arbor) practicing physician, Dr. Chernin, has a well-rounded perspective when healing since he is a medical doctor and homeopath.
BONUS: Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Postpartum Tips
- Homeopathy for Pregnancy, Birth and Your Baby's First Year by Miranda Castro, R.S.Hom. Castro supports women in a way that few do. This book is STILL in my house even though I've set the intention to be done childbearing and my kids are no longer babies - it's that good!
- Guide to Homeopathic Remedies for the Birth Bag by Patti Brennan (Ann Arbor.)
- Homeopathy Specifics: 18 Remedies for Childbirth by Helios Homœopathy. This is a set of remedies with an instructional guide to support women through the transition into motherhood. Specific remedies for pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum are offered.
- Homeopathic Medicine for Children and Infants by Dana Ullman, MPH. This book is quick to investigate which remedy to use without over-thinking.
Get Started Today!
Local - Metro Detroit Area
Castle Remedies, Ann Arbor
*The only Michigan store open to the public who will make remedies while you wait in basically whatever potency and bottle size needed.
Better Health Food stores
Online Stores / Kits
Natural Health Supply
Washington Homeopathic Products
American Institute of Homeopathy
National Center for Homeopathy
Elixirs.com: Homeopathy for Health
British Homeopathic Association
Australian Homœopathic Association